A Proud Indian !

A Proud Indian !

A first grade teacher explains to her class that she is an American.
She asks her students to raise their hands if they were American too.
Not really knowing why but wanting to be like their teacher, their hands
explode into the air like flashy fireworks.
There is, however, one exception.
A girl named Gita has not gone along with the crowd.
The teacher asks her why she has decided to be different.
"Because I am not an American." replied Gita.
"Then", asks the teacher, "What are you?"
"I'm a proud Indian," boasts the little girl.
The teacher is a little perturbed now, her face slightly red. She asks Gita
why she is an Indian.
"Well", my mom and dad are Indians, "so I'm an Indian too."
The teacher is now angry. "That's no reason", she says loudly "if your mom
was an idiot, and your dad was an idiot, what would you be then?"
A pause, and a smile.
"Then" says Gita, "I'd be an American."

No comments: